How to add components to an existing install?

This forum serves as discussion and support collaboration point for products and services of the WPN-XM project.
GinSwigga

How to add components to an existing install?

Postby GinSwigga » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 am

I originally installed the WPNXM-0.8.6-Lite-Setup-php56-w64 version, but I'd like to add Redis 64 and the php extension. I downloaded them from the http://wpn-xm.org/components.php, and I know it says,
You have to install these components manually.
After downloading, go to the appropriate manual and follow the installation instructions.
But is there no way to have new components integrated into the existing install? Do I need to uninstall WPN and install the Standard or Full version, or can I simply install over my existing directory?

I'd like to be able to manage everything from the Server Control Panel.

jakoch
Site Admin

Re: How to add components to an existing install?

Postby jakoch » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

But is there no way to have new components integrated into the existing install? Do I need to uninstall WPN and install the Standard or Full version, or can I simply install over my existing directory?
Right, the Lite installer doesn't ship Redis out of the box. You find it only in the Full or Standard installer.
You can install Redis into "/bin/redis" and the PHP extension into "/bin/php/ext".

Please bear with me. The Redis support is really lacking.
It won't be auto-detected after an installation and you won't get any control buttons for Redis.
Its simply not integrated into the Server Control Panel, yet.

Other components have a better support, for instance PostgreSQL. If you install it manually, the SCP would detect it and update the control panel accordingly.
I'd like to be able to manage everything from the Server Control Panel.
Yes, that's also my goal....

There are two parts here:
1. server control for Redis from the Control Panel Mainwindow and Tray - https://github.com/WPN-XM/WPN-XM/issues/423
2. installation from the Control Panel - https://github.com/WPN-XM/WPN-XM/issues/515

Both features will land in the next version!

At the moment i can only show a preview of the interface for the Updater.

Thank you for the feature request. I will keep you updated.

Best, Jens

GinSwigga

Postby GinSwigga » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 am

Awesome, thanks for the thorough reply! I'll just wait for the next update if that's the case, because I don't need redis right now, as I'm just writing a library and it was on of the storage options I was going to offer - I can get my with MariaDB and JSON for now.

If I did decide to uninstall and re-install a different version, would it overwrite the entire install directory making so I need to back up my www DIR and configs for stuff like NGINX?

Thanks for all your work, it's great to have a stack management tool like this for Windows.

jakoch
Site Admin

Postby jakoch » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks for all your work, it's great to have a stack management tool like this for Windows.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.
If I did decide to uninstall and re-install a different version, would it overwrite the entire install directory making so I need to back up my www DIR and configs for stuff like NGINX?
Yes, the uninstaller removes everything. The uninstaller should start with a warning that your "www" folder will be deleted.
That's your signal to save your projects and configs.

I've also written a little backup script "backup.bat", which might come in handy, see https://github.com/WPN-XM/WPN-XM/blob/m ... backup.bat
Its a very basic wrapper around 7zip to "backup" folders described in \bin\backup\backup-folders.txt

It currently "backs up" the following locations

Code: Select all

.\www\
.\bin\nginx\conf\
The target location for backup files is "C:\Backup".

jakoch
Site Admin

Postby jakoch » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Update - The next version of the Server Control Panel supports Redis.

Diamsnicj

How to add components to an existing install

Postby Diamsnicj » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I guess the title says it all, but how can I add ColdFusion to the up time monitoring in CP?

jakoch
Site Admin

Postby jakoch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:26 am

how can I add ColdFusion to the up time monitoring in CP?
You would have to modify the Server Control Panel and implement ColdFusion support as a new feature.

The question is, which distribution of ColdFusion?

Some more things to figure out: download url, install steps, deinstall steps, start command, stop command.

Should i open a new issue over at Github to setup a todo list and track the implementation progress?

jakoch
Site Admin

Postby jakoch » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:40 pm

@Diamsnicj You don't want to discuss your own feature request?